Interpreters pursuing Board for Evaluation of Interpreters (BEI) certification will participate in skill-building workshops that are highly conducive to professional growth and development. Full attendance is required for those who want to earn a certificate or Board of Evaluation of Interpreters (BEI) Continuing Education Units (CEUs).
Workshop participants are not required to take the BEI performance test.
Workshop activities offered:
- Expressive and receptive transliterating and interpreting*
- Preparation for the BEI Written Test of English Proficiency (TEP)*
- Preparation for the Basic and Advanced performance test*
- Working as a part of an educational team
- Navigating and applying the Code of Professional Conduct in educational settings
*offered only during CSW Session B and C
BEI Performance Tests
BEI will offer a limited number of reserved testing appointments to eligible CSW attendees during the CSW training week(s). The BEI performance test will be administered during CSW; the TEP will not be administered during CSW. You must take and pass the written TEP before you are eligible to take a BEI performance test.
Reserved testing appointments are limited and will be administered to a select number of interested and eligible candidates.
Test of English Proficiency (TEP)
- If you have already passed the TEP, your status is on file and you do not have to take it again.
- If you have not yet passed the TEP, visit our online BEI Registry
(https://bei.hhsc.state.tx.us/) to create a profile, complete an application, select a testing site nearest you, and pay for your test.
- To be eligible to take the TEP, you must:
- be at least 18 years old,
- have earned a high school diploma or its equivalent,
- not have a criminal conviction that could qualify as grounds for denial, probation, suspension, or revocation of a BEI certificate, or other disciplinary action against any holder of a BEI certificate, and
- have earned at least 30 credit hours from an accredited college or university, with a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher.
- Upon receipt of your TEP application, BEI staff will verify your eligibility and will communicate next steps as needed.
During CSW, participants taking a performance test late Thursday or Friday may stay on campus on Thursday night, but no meals will be provided after lunch on Thursday. There are nearby restaurants within walking distance that offer delivery.
BEI offers a Study Guide to assist in test prep. Additionally, participants can review previous year videos to practice receptive American Sign Language skills.
The skills of participants will be enhanced through activities offered at CSW and practice resources. However, there is no guarantee that training will ensure the passing of any BEI performance test. For questions about BEI resources or testing, contact BEI staff.
- To be eligible to take the BEI Performance Test, you must:
- meet all the requirements of the TEP,
- have earned a passing score on the written TEP, and
- have earned an associate degree and/or at least 60 credit hours from an accredited college or university, with a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher.
- To be considered for a reserved testing appointment during a CSW training week, you must:
- meet all testing requirements outlined above,
- have earned a passing score on the written TEP,
- live at least 100 miles from Austin, and
- have completed and paid for your BEI performance test application via the BEI Registry (https://bei.hhsc.state.tx.us/).
- Upon receipt of your completed performance test application, BEI staff will verify your eligibility and will communicate next steps as needed.
- Reserved testing appointments are limited and will be assigned on a first-come, first-served basis to those who meet the outlined requirements.
For participants who live within a 100-mile radius of Austin, contact BEI staff to schedule your performance test at a separate time.