Book: The Children's Crusade of 1963 Boosts Civil Rights
Individual Activity: Pre-Reading
Students skim the book or look at the glossary to make a list of words they do not know. Students use the internet to research the meaning of the word and the ASL sign for that word.
Individual Activity: Vocabulary
Paired Digital Activity: Vocabulary Flipgrid
- If you don't have a free Flipgrid account, create one here.
- Create a new topic called Children's Crusade Vocabulary. Post the link for your students to access.
- Divide the number of vocabulary words and assign to students.
- Have students video each other signing the word and its meaning.
- Have students upload to the Flipgrid.
Small-Group Activity: Reading
In groups or pairs, students will prepare a presentation on an assigned chapter of the book that they will teach to classmates.
Book: The Children's Crusade of 1963 Boosts Civil Rights by Heather Adamson
Digital version available free through GetEpic.com free membership or paid through Amazon.
1. How can young adults and children positively affect their communities?
2. How were African Americans impacted by segregation, racism, and violence during the 1950s-1960s?
3. How were children able to help with the Civil Rights Movement?
Whole Group Activity: Presentations
Students present in order of the chapters to their classmates.