Interpreter Certification

  • Schools that provide interpreting services to students who are deaf or hard of hearing must ensure that interpreters hold appropriate certification from the Texas Board for Evaluation of Interpreters (BEI) or the National Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (RID). Interpreters who have a score of at least 4.0 on the Educational Interpreter Performance Assessment (EIPA) and meet the RID requirements for certified membership may also be eligible to provide interpreting services (19 TAC §89.1131(d)).

    Rules and Regulations


    • IDEA 34 CFR §300.34(c)(4) – Interpreting Services
    • IDEA 34 CFR §300.156(b) – Certification Requirements
      • (b) Related services personnel and paraprofessionals. The qualifications under paragraph (a) of this section must include qualifications for related services personnel and paraprofessionals that--
        • (1) Are consistent with any State-approved or State-recognized certification, licensing, registration, or other comparable requirements that apply to the professional discipline in which those personnel are providing special education or related services; and
        • (2) Ensure that related services personnel who deliver services in their discipline or profession--
          • (i) Meet the requirements of paragraph (b)(1) of this section; and
          • (ii) Have not had certification or licensure requirements waived on an emergency, temporary, or provisional basis; and
          • (iii) Allow paraprofessionals and assistants who are appropriately trained and supervised, in accordance with State law, regulation, or written policy, in meeting the requirements of this part to be used to assist in the provision of special education and related services under this part to children with disabilities.


    • 19 TAC §89.1131(d) – Commissioner’s Rule
      • (d) Interpreting services for students who are deaf must be provided by an interpreter who is certified in the appropriate language mode(s), if certification in such mode(s) is available. If certification is available, the interpreter must be a certified member of or certified by the Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (RID) or the Texas Board for Evaluation of Interpreters (BEI), Department of Assistive and Rehabilitative Services (DARS), Office for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services (DHHS).