Charlotte's Web: Meet Your Storyteller
Avonne Brooker-Rutowski, Charlotte's Web ASL Storyteller:
I was born Deaf to Deaf parents and mainstreamed in a public school without a certified interpreter for five years, so I can relate well to a lot of students who attend public schools. After graduation, I attended Gallaudet University and graduated with a BA in Psychology, followed by a Masters degree in Deaf Education at McDaniel College. I concluded my higher education work at Gallaudet Leadership Institute with an Education Specialist degree. Right after graduate school, I started my first job as a preschool teacher at Texas School for the Deaf (TSD) and taught there for eight years. I then became the Principal in TSD's Elementary School for five wonderful years and was later appointed as Director of Instruction. With 20+ years of experience in Deaf Education, I am now enjoying my fifth year as an Outreach Program Specialist where I am a contributing member to the future generations of deaf and hard of hearing children. I am also on the American Society of Deaf Children's board as vice president. That’s one of the reasons I enjoy working with families in Texas.
I live in Austin with my husband and two children. Both my husband and daughter are Deaf and my son is a CODA (Child of a Deaf Adult).
Fun Facts About Me:
- I am 6th generation Deaf and 2nd generation Canadian.
- I am somewhat scared of cats, even though I have one as a pet.
- I love hockey more than football and prefer the mountains and ocean over the forest.
- I love to drink tea with milk and enjoy drinking a bit of warm milk before going to bed.
- I am not afraid of scorpions and I love to eat snails!
- I have over 100 pairs of shoes and lots more books!
My Favorite Books:
- "Love You Forever" by Robert Munsch
- "The Three Billy Goats Gruff"