Communication Skills Workshop (CSW) provides sign language skill improvement sessions in an immersive and interactive environment during one of its three 4 - day workshops in July.
CSW participants will have the opportunity to:
- Improve their expressive and receptive signed communication skills
- Interact with deaf, hard of hearing, and hearing professionals
- Learn more about deaf culture and the deaf community
- Be exposed to the difference between American Sign Language (ASL) and English Sign Systems
In small-group classroom instruction or large-group settings, participants will find the topics and activities challenging and fun! Instructors are deaf and hard of hearing professionals or certified interpreters. Certified interpreters are highly qualified, holding BEI Level IV, V, or Masters certification.
CSW ScheduleCSW is a four-day workshop with 16 sessions. The conference-style schedule allows participants to attend all possible sessions. Session topics and activities vary and may include, but are not limited to:
ASL Grammar and Structure
Sign Language Games
CASE (Conceptually Accurate
Sign Vocabulary Building
Classifiers and Directionality
Use of Space
Idioms and ASL Phrases
Code of Professional Conduct for InterpretersParticipants have an opportunity to take a self-assessment tool that helps them choose the sessions that best suit their language development goals. Optional evening activities on special topics are offered. View the example Schedule
Funding is provided through an IDEA-B discretionary grant through Texas Sensory Support Network at Texas Education Agency and program support from the Texas School for the Deaf. Due to the grant requirements, only the following individuals can participate in CSW:
- Parents of deaf and hard of hearing children in early childhood through grade 12
- Certified & Non-Certified Interpreters working in K-12 settings in Texas
- American Sign Language Teachers
- Deaf Education Teachers
Participants are expected to attend and participate in all activities and workshops.
Click on each icon below to learn which group most closely fits you.