Interpreters Working With Deaf and Hard of Hearing Individuals

  • Interpreters who work with deaf and hard of hearing people are trained professionals who translate spoken language into a visual language or communication mode. They should possess the ability to deliver information between hearing persons and deaf or hard of hearing persons in a way that can receive and express information clearly. There are two main groups of interpreters: general interpreting and educational interpreting.

    General interpreters for deaf and hard of hearing people usually work in professional, community or higher education settings. Interpreters can obtain different levels of certification and different types of specialization. All interpreters are required to adhere to a national and/or state code of ethics, established by a recognized licensing agency. 

    In addition to the resources listed, the Statewide Outreach Center provides professional development and support to interpreters who work with students in Texas.

Frequently Asked Questions- Texas

Frequently Asked Questions-National

  • How do I find an interpreter?

  • How can I become a nationally certified interpreter?

  • How can I get training for RID certification?

  • What are the CEU requirements to maintain national certification?

  • What are some interpreting specializations from RID?

  • How can I connect to other interpreters?

  • Does RID have a code of ethics or conduct?

  • Where can I find guidance on interpreting in different settings?